Friday, August 2, 2013

Writing a Letter to Dav Pilkey

If you don't know who Captain Underpants is, then you are really missing out on life.  He is the famous superhero of the series by the same name, written by Dav Pilkey.  Pilkey's story is interesting: as a child in school, he was told that he would never make a living drawing and writing cartoons all day.  Boy were they wrong! 

The books are borderline offensive in the sense of: if you don't appreciate potty humor, these books are not for you or for your kids.  What I like about these books is 1) They have fueled an even greater interest in reading for Sathya, in addition to helping him make the transition to chapter books, 2) They are funny, even for adults, and 3) They do have coded messages in there that are quite honorable, if you can look through all the poop and fart jokes.

For our writing lesson, Sathya wrote a letter to Mr. Pilkey.  In one of the books, Sathya was forced to change his name to "Snotty Banana Chunks" by Professor Poopypants, who decided to change everyone's name since people ridiculed his name so much (gosh, I wonder why).  An address was given at the end of the book for those readers who'd suffered emotional distress from having had their name changed:






Sathya then wrote his very first "official" letter, which we mailed off on Wednesday.  I hope that there is no statute on letters and that he receives a response:





(If you can't read it, it says: "Dear Mr. Pilkey, I love Captain Underpants.  Your friend, Sathya Martin".)

Sathya's least favorite thing is writing (gasp! That's heartache for me, who is a writer), but by incorporating fun ways to do our lessons (without calling them "lessons"), he is at least getting his practice in.  Go, Sathya!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Just curious if you ever received a response?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear dave pilky can you please come to nashvill tenneese so you can sighn dog man lord of the fleas and I would kill to meet you. sincearly gavin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dav Pilkey. I really like your books and how funny you make them. You are my favorite author. Thank you for all of the books that you have made for kids because again, I really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. plz give me a coppy of dog man book 7 for free. you can mail it to me. I live in california, cypress, sorrento, 9856 fonte road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear Dav pilkey i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove your books and my brother looooooves them to. and your my favorite author my dream would be that if i could come and write some novels and graphic novels with you if that is ok and i love all the captain underpants novels and dog man graphic novels if you want to you can send me a letter but i am in australia and i may come very soon and if you would prefer that you an send me a letter i live on 11 pryor loop shidow park sa 5158 australia sencearly your biggest fan jay

    ReplyDelete