Thursday, July 18, 2013

Natural History Museum

My son didn't whine or complain or scream or throw fits on seven different occasions (thus earning seven stickers), so he got to choose what we did for the day.  He chose the history museum.

This week is a little unusual because my husband Alex is home during the day, working a strange shift at night.  So I have been giving my son a free pass week (which we do when we go on vacation or when people are visiting or when one of the kids is sick), where we do light lessons, nothing structured.  That way he gets to spend time with his dad, and we get to do things together as a family.

I won't have a whole lot of information to post this week about what we did since it probably won't interest you (we get a little goofy when we are all together; barrel hugs and anthropomorphic elephants and mama robots come out of the woodwork).  Next week, however, Sathya will be working on a report about Stegosaurus (which he will present in front of the living room), the dinosaur he picked from the museum this week, and I have a slew of lessons I've been thinking about having him do.  I also want next week to be a bit more active, so we will throw in some kid yoga and other activities that Anand can do too.

The museum was a lot of fun.  Sathya liked the dinos best, but we did come across something we wouldn't want showing up on our doorstep asking for milk:


This slender fella is called a lungfish, a remnant of fish that existed during dinosaur times.  We have seen it at the museum since we moved to New Mexico over four years ago.  It has moved location, but I think it's the same fish.  Is it?  How would we know?  And how long do these things live?

Last but not least, here's a display that made me think of when my husband and I fight (I of course am the dino looking at the camera going WTF?):


(Just kidding hubby, if you are reading...)

No comments:

Post a Comment